Six Week Checklist for a Good Move
Six weeks before move
Four weeks before move
Three weeks before move
Two weeks before move
One week before move
· Call for moving estimates.
· Call the Chamber Of Commerce and Visitors & Convention Bureau in your new town and get their new resident information packages.
· Inventory all household items to be moved, and start packing NOW!
· Remove all items from basement, storage sheds, attics, and plan a garage sale or charity donation for all items you don’t want to move.
· Start using things up that you can’t move, like cleaning supplies and frozen food.
· Discuss tax-related moving expenses, liabilities, and deductions with your tax advisor.
· Make a list of all people/organizations to contact about change of address.
· Complete U.S. Postal Service change of address forms and mail them to all applicable publications, stores and organizations.
· Get copies of (or arrange for transfer at both ends of move) all school, medical, dental, veterinary, legal, and accounting records.
· Contact insurance agents to transfer or cancel coverage.
· If it’s a company move, check with your employer to find out what moving expenses they cover.
· Get a mail subscription for the local paper in your new location to familiarize yourself with the new community, its activities and issues.
· Locate and obtain all automobile licensing and registration information.
Back to Top
Four Weeks Before Move:
· Get an itemized list of all moving related costs and review with mover, including packing, loading, special charges, insurance, vehicles (if needed), etc.
· Contact all current and new location utility companies (gas, water, electric, cable TV, phone & trash collection) to set connect/disconnect dates. Remember to keep current utilities hooked up until move day.
· Make arrangements for relocation of pets and plants.
· Move valuables to safe deposit box to prevent loss during move.
· If you are packing yourself, acquire packing materials/boxes and pack items you won’t need for the next month.
· If professional mover is packing your goods, schedule packing day(s) 1 or 2 days before move.
· Prepare any mowers, snow blowers, boats, snowmobiles (or other vehicles you won’t be using before the move) for the move by servicing and draining gas and oil, to prevent a moving van fire.
· Repair, send out for re-upholstery, or clean furniture, drapes, carpeting as needed.
Back to Top
Three Weeks Before Move:
· Make travel arrangements for family for moving trip, allow for unexpected delays and cash needs that often occur in moves and house closings.
· Collect all important papers (insurance, will, deeds, stocks, etc.).
· Arrange to close all local bank accounts and open new ones in new location.
Back to Top
Two Weeks Before Move:
· Prepare auto(s) for trip to new home. Check tires and have vehicles serviced.
· Terminate newspaper and other delivery services at old address.
· Give away all plants you don’t intend to move.
· If you’re moving out of a building with elevators, arrange with management for use of elevators on move day.
· Schedule for appliance disconnects on moving day or the day before the move, if necessary.
· Contact your moving company counselor to review and confirm all arrangements for your move.
· Withdraw contents of any safe deposit boxes, return library books & rental video tapes, pick up any dry cleaning, etc.
· Prepare specific directions to your new home for your moving company, including your travel itinerary and emergency numbers.
Back to Top
One Week Before Move:
· Defrost refrigerator/freezer.
· Plan simple meals for moving day to avoid using appliances.
· Make plans for care of small children on moving day.
· Transfer or withdraw all funds from local banks.
· Separate cartons and luggage items you need for personal travel so they don’t get packed on the truck.
· Pack a box of items you will need immediately upon arrival at your new home and have movers put this box on last (clearly mark box as PACK THIS LAST or UNPACK THIS FIRST) or take it with you.
· Have appliances disconnected and prepared for move.
· Set aside one room for packers and movers to work in freely.
· Arrange to have utilities turned on at new home.
· Notify friends and neighbors of new address and phone number (if available).
· Fill any necessary prescriptions, medications needed for the next two weeks.
· Set aside manuals and instructions for your current home for new owner.
· Do NOT disconnect your telephone until the day after loading.
Back to Top
· Plan on spending entire day at house with movers. Don’t leave until movers have gone.
· Record all utility meter readings (gas, electric, water).
· Stay with moving van driver to oversee inventory of goods.
· Give moving van driver directions to new home and numbers where you can be reached prior to delivery.
· Get routing information from moving van driver.
· Review carefully and sign bill of lading and inventory, and keep your copy in a safe place until all charges have been paid and all claims (if any) have been settled.
· Make final walk-through of house, including basement, attic and closets, to make sure it’s empty.
· Lock all windows and doors, and drop off keys with Realtor, neighbor or new owner.